Friday 22 October 2010

You are the big picture by Aviva



I have watched with interest and intrigue for the past fortnight the building of a picture on the side of Sea Containers House on the South Bank. Having been out of the marketing loop for the past three months I was fascinated to learn more about the project and the background behind this building picture.

So once gripped by enough intrigue I started to look into the initiative and found the multi platform experience very interesting and engaging. It started with conversation with the team that has been hanging from the building. The abseiling artists were taking a break so I approached them to learn more about the project and I was blown away to learn that it was not part of London Design Week it was in fact a brand initiative by Aviva.

Now this was especially intriguing because I have been an Aviva customer for many years and they have helped me on a number of times after a particularly bad motorcycle accident I had in 2008.

The initiative titled, you are the big picture by Aviva. Aviva is running this campaign to the relationship it has with its customers and to bring to life the extrodinary moments between the brand and its customers. They are celebrating these extrodinary people in extroinary portraits.

You are the big picture pays tribute to thesepeople in giant portraits designed to match the size of their compassion, resolve, determination or integrity.

I have been watching the portrait of Sylvia and her husband Allen. Sylvia’s story is centered around a life saving operation.

Why do I feel compelled to write about this campaign, well from the point of intrigue and the visual spectacle of the portraits coming to life and then the inspiration to seek out more information and then to get involved was a very inspiring and immersive experience and I think that Aviva should be congratulated for such a bold and inspirational campaign. The use of many platforms to create a campaign that will put Aviva in the hearts and minds of the public is an inspired one and proves that brands no longer feel the need to spend all of their budgets on glossy TV campaigns, it also proves that even financial institutions can be inspiring and bold in their message delivery.

I believe that even the most cynical of us would find some inspiration in this campaign, the live execution in itself must have taken months of negotiation and preperation and its tenacity must be applauded, I was watching and thinking “who are these people and why are they being portraid on this huge building? So of course I headed to the online to find out.

This then led me to be inspired to learn more dig deeper and then get involved myself.

A great campaign.